By Mary Tabak, Our Kids Network Developmental Assets Project Manager
‘Tis the season…of yummy barbeques; long sunny walks; flower gardens; good books; picnics; and…report cards? Yikes! School is coming to a close and the summer is just about to start – but not until the report cards come home.
Thinking about report cards makes me wonder – what grades would our kids give us?
Let’s consider the following:
- Have we used our Language to choose our words with kindness and care?
- Has learning Another Language helped us be more inclusive of other cultures?
- Has History taught us not to repeat things that don’t work?
- Is Science helping us make better choices about our health?
- Does Geography make it difficult for us to see each other and spend quality time together? How do we stay connected?
- Are we using Math to count minutes instead of make memorable moments?
- Are Music, Fitness and Art helping us to connect, learn and play together?
- Can Computer Science teach us how to turn it off?
- Has Psychology reduced our stress and increased our happiness?
Take the summer to improve your grades! Reconnect and reset with your family – it’s never too late to focus on what’s really important in life.